The course aims at introducing all around basic components (physical concept, equipment and software) from design to fabrication and characterization of silica/silicon optical planar waveguide components through hands-on experience
- Work confidently in the cleanroom
- Select proper material platform for different applications in integrated optics
- Design processing flows for device fabrication
- Interpret and optimize key processing steps in the fabrication of waveguide components
- Align fibers with nanoscale waveguides efficiently
- Handle chips and fibres with skills of dicing, cleaning and cleaving etc.
- Set up simple optical measurements
- Do component simulation and mask layout by using commercial softwares
- Describe working principles of waveguide components
- Apply knowledges to current waveguide components research and application
• Learn rules of working in the cleanroom
• Get familiar with key processings in the cleanroom, including film deposition, lithography and etching
• Build models of waveguides to simulate effective refractive index, coupling loss etc using commercial software
• Make mask layout using commercial software L-edit
• Do electron-beam lithography, including resist spin, e-beam exposure and developing
• Operate ”advanced silicon etcher ” (ASE) and edit recipes for silicon etching
• Investigate the nanoscale features using scanning electron microscope (SEM)
• Couple light in and out of waveguide components on 3-dimentional stages by tapered fibers
• Set up simple measurement circuits including light source, polarization controller and optical spectral analyzer (OSA) to measure propagation loss of straight waveguide by cutback method
• Setup OSA correctly with regard to resolution, sensitivity, average, sampling, and configure OSA and TLS to work in synchronization
• Measure silicon micro-ring resonators and analyze the difference between the design and the measured values
The students will work in 3 groups on topics related to waveguide components: designing using commercial software, fabrication using the state-of-art cleanroom facilities at Danchip, and characterization in the lab.
Vær opmærksom på, at dette enkeltfagskursus har et minimumskrav for antal deltagere for at kunne oprettes. Du får besked om, hvorvidt kurset oprettes senest 8 dage før kursusstart.