Grid Connection and Integration of Wind Power
This course focuses on the grid connection of wind power plants as well as challenges and solutions to grid integration.
You will be introduced to the electrical system connecting the wind turbine generators in a wind farm. You will learn about the power system characteristics and get an understanding of the power system requirements for grid connection of wind farms transforming them into wind power plants.
Furthermore, you will be introduced to the wind power plant as a wind farm, which meets the power system requirements.
The course is structured into three subjects:
- Wind farm
- Power system
- Wind power plant
During the course, you will work with the following:
- Electrical components in wind farms
- Electrical circuits’ basics and calculations
- Wind power technology and control
- Power system fundamentals
- Technical specifications and connection requirements
- Power system operation with large scale wind power
- Modelling and control of wind power plants
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- List basic electrical components in a wind farm.
- Design the electrical power collection system in a wind farm.
- Calculate electrical losses in a wind farm under different wind conditions.
- Analyse voltage profiles in a wind farm under different wind conditions.
- Describe the basic principles for frequency, voltage and power quality characteristics in a power system.
- Identify challenges of integrating wind power.
- Describe requirements (grid codes) for grid connection of wind power plants.
- Explain the structure of wind power plant control.
- Analyse impact of large scale wind power on frequency control.
- Assess the compliance of a wind power plant with requirements to reactive power capability.
- Evaluate the impact of a wind power plant on power quality.
Admission to the course requires a B.Sc. or B.Eng. degree or higher and at least, two years of relevant working experience.
The relevant working experience could be – but is not necessarily restricted to – employment in:
- The wind energy industry.
- Oil and gas companies.
- Shipping companies.
- Companies performing environmental assessment.
- Public agencies with responsibilities related to engineering and natural sciences.
- Since the programme is taught in English, you must have proficient English skills.
In addition to the admission requirements above, we strongly recommend that you have mathematics and programming skills equivalent to B.Sc. or B.Eng. level or higher.
You will need a PC with a stable internet connection to follow this online course.
All master courses run on the web based course platform DTU Learn. Once you access the platform, all the courses you are signed up for, become available for you – after the semester start day.
The course is divided in 13 modules, one per week in the semester. Each module includes a combination of video lectures, exercises, quizzes and/or reading material depending on the module. This course material is available any time to allow for flexible studying conditions.
Furthermore, you are offered weekly live Q&A sessions to get in dialogue with the course lecturer and fellow participants.
This course is concluded with a written exam, conducted online.
Sign up and prices
You can follow the course as a single course or as part of the programme Master in Wind Energy.
If you wish to follow this course as a single course, please add the course to the basket and fill in the required information.
Part of the Online Master of Wind Energy
You can study this course as part of the Master in Wind Energy. If you wish to follow the course as part of the full Master’s programme, please go the the site for the Online Master in Wind Energy, click the sign up button, and follow the instructions.
|Courses of 5 ECTS points||15,000 DKK|
|Final Project of 15 ECTS points||38,000 DKK|
|Full Master’s programme||173,000 DKK|
The state subsidy for part-time education is determined in the Finance Act for one year at a time. DTU reserves the right to make any adjustments to the participant payment.