The Wind TurbineIn this course, you will be introduced to wind turbine technology. You will get a general introduction to different wind turbine components and wind turbine concepts. Furthermore, your will learn to describe, calculate, and evaluate the components and concepts based on basic knowledge in different engineering disciplines.
During the course, you will work with the following:
- General introduction of wind turbine systems
- Specific wind turbine terminology
- Structural design and structural mechanics
- Electrical systems
- Wind turbine control
- Wind turbine loads
- Levelized cost of energy
Once you have completed the course, you will be able to:
- Describe basic wind turbine concepts and components.
- Determine and calculate aerodynamic loads on a wind turbine rotor.
- Calculate power and thrust as function of wind speed.
- Describe different aeroelastic stabilities, wind conditions and wind turbine design load cases.
- Describe methods to calculate aeroelastic loads.
- Distinguish and describe wind turbine fatigue and ultimate loads.
- Explain conversion of wind flow power to electrical power as well as different control strategies.
- Explain different control options and calculate related parameters.
- Explain and illustrate the principle of different generator types and main electrical system types of wind turbines.
- Explain, calculate and formulate material selection criteria and basic structural design principles related to wind turbines.
- Describe, explain and calculate structural design features related to different parts of a wind turbine blade.
- Explain and apply the basics of classical laminate theory.
- Explain the concept of LCoE models and calculate LCoE for a simple onshore/offshore wind turbine site.
This course is part of the Online Master of Wind Energy.
If you want to study the course, you need to be accepted to the Master’s programme.
Read more about the admission requirements for the Online Master of Wind Energy.
The course is divided in 13 modules, one per week in the semester. Each module includes a combination of video lectures, exercises, quizzes and/or reading material depending on the module. This course material is available any time to allow for flexible studying conditions.
Furthermore, you are offered weekly live Q&A sessions to get in dialogue with the course lecturer and fellow participants.
This course is concluded with a written exam, conducted online.