The Wind Turbine Technology course gives the participant a general introduction to wind turbine technology, covering the wind turbine as well as aerodynamics, loads, composite structure, structural dynamics, electrical systems, and control.
The participant learns to describe a wind turbine system as well as its components and how it works.
After completing this course, the participant is able to:
- Describe the basic components of a wind turbine.
- Describe a steady Blade Element Momentum (BEM) method to model the aerodynamic forces on a rotor.
- Apply a steady BEM.
- Describe a typical blade structure.
- Explain main load cases and criteria for the structural design of blades.
- Distinguish between various types of turbines.
- Explain the electrical design and control of the basic wind turbine types.
- Design a maximum power point tracking controller for a wind turbine.
This course is part of the Online Master of Wind Energy.
If you want to study the course, you need to be accepted to the Master’s programme.
Read more about the admission requirements for the Online Master of Wind Energy.
Duration and exam
The course has a duration of 13 weeks and concludes with a written exam.