To give the student sufficient theoretical and practical understanding and knowledge to design and implement a local network, including a server of own choice, connected to the Internet using PCs and VM’s running Linux as the platform for both workstations and servers. Also cloud administation and operation is discussed.
- Operate Linux from the command line
- Describe the Linux file system, including the protection system
- Perform simple system administrator task such as user administration, access control, etc.
- Create and maintain a log book for the server
- Identify the possible threats to the security of a workstation and a server
- Specify and implement proper contermeasures to the identified threats
- Specify and implement methods to assertain the continuing operation of the server in spite of e.g. power failures, planned or otherwise
- Describe the protocol(s) applicable to the chosen server
- Discuss the pros and cons of the chosen server relative to similar servers
- Discuss cloud administration and operation, including pros and cons of using cloud
- Demonstrate the proper operation of the server (testing)
Workstation installation – turn your laptop into a working Linux computer
Linux usage: Users; file systems and file system structure; essential commands. Graphical desktops.
Networks: Linux in a networking environment: Structure and configuration of the networking software.
Build your own system: Install packages: From source code (tar, ./configure, make, make install) or package managers: dpkg, RPM etc.
Basic security: threats, prevention, detection.
Servers: Choose your type of servers (file, mail, print, name, web, DHCP, Samba, database);
Cloud: Linux in a cloud environment; administration and operation
Build and secure the chosen server.
Knowledge corresponding to a Data Communication class and programming skills
50% of the time will be used by lectures and discussions which will cover the theoretical aspects.
The practical part will fall in two parts: workstation installation and set-up will be done individually whereas server building will be done as a course assignment in groups of up to three students.
Selected course assignments will be handed in and will be starting point for the exam.